Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Five Years


I can remember the first time I heard the music of Elliot Smith like it was yesterday. I was in Stinkweeds in Tempe, AZ and Needle in The Hay was coming out of the speakers. My jaw was on the floor, I didn't know who or what it was but I knew I had to have it right then and there. Within a few minutes I was walking out of the store with Elliot Smith, his 1995 self titled release. I always think about that day when I think about Elliot's death, probable because his music meant a lot to me and I was crushed when I got the news. The Cobain suicide struck me as tragic but Elliot's passing put actual tears in my eyes. Five years have passed since that tragic day in Silverake, but Elliot's genius remains in the recordings that he left us. He's was one of those rare artists that can stump me when a friend asks for a starting point I have no idea where to point them. From Heatmiser to his posthumous released Basement on The Hill, all of his recorded work is essential and required listening.
Elliot you are missed.

Elliot Smith
- Needle in The Hay

No comments: