Sunday, March 7, 2010

R.I.P. Mark Linkous

I am truly sorry to half to write this piece. Mark Linkous and the fragile and beautiful music he recorded and subsequently released under the Sparklehorse moniker impacted, affected, and inspired us here at The Ash Gray Proclamation. So here we are again just 3 short months after losing Vic Chesnutt,we again must deal with the suicide of one of music's most inspiring and important musicians.

Marl Linkous took his own life yesterday afternoon by a self inflicted gunshot wound.

I remember the first time I heard Sparklehorse, I had just started working at WFNX here in Boston and I was in the middle of one of my first air shifts and along comes Someday I Will Treat You Good at 3 AM and I was hooked. This horrible news comes just days after the announcement that his collaboration with Danger Mouse, A Dark Night of Soul will finally be released and the next Sparklehorse album was nearing completion.

May the peace that escaped him in life, embrace him in death.

From the Linkous Family: "It is with great sadness that we share the news that our dear friend and family member, Mark Linkous, took his own life today. We are thankful for his time with us and will hold him forever in our hearts. May his journey be peaceful, happy and free. There’s a heaven and there’s a star for you." - March 6, 2010

No comments: